Dear Parent(s) and/or Guardian(s),
In 1988 the Washington State Legislature passed the AIDS Omnibus Act. This act mandates HIV/AIDS education beginning in Grade 5 and continuing through Grade 12. School districts must adhere to the following criteria when developing an HIV/AIDS prevention curriculum:
· Beginning no later than Grade 5, students must receive yearly instruction in the life-threatening dangers of HIV/AIDS, its transmission, and its prevention;
· Education will emphasize the importance of sexual abstinence, sexual fidelity, and avoidance of substance abuse in controlling disease;
· The materials used must be approved for medical accuracy by the Department of Health Office on HIV/AIDS;
· At least one month before teaching the curriculum, parents are to be notified of the presentation and have the opportunity to view the materials;
· A student may be removed from HIV/AIDS prevention education if the student’s parent or guardian, having attended one of the district presentations, objects in writing to such participation.
A Clarkston School District parent presentation will be held on Wednesday, September 26th, from 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm in the District Board room at 1294 Chestnut St. Health Services staff will be available so parents can view teaching materials and ask questions.
Donna Franklin, RN, BSN, NCSN
Director of Health Services